April 7, 2011

Devouring Books

I've been immersing myself in a variety of books recently. Others watch telly as a form of escapism; books are like that for me.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh

All three left deep impressions on me, partly because of the highly unusual settings of each narrative. More importantly, the stories weren't about self-pity despite the challenging circumstances. The authors spoke of the same fierce fighting spirit, perseverance and courage to be true to oneself.

I picked up a couple of quotes from Delivering Happiness, which I hope will serve as daily reminders whenever things don't go my way. 

When you walk with purpose, you collide with destiny. - Bertice Berry

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Buddha

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit. - H.S. Truman

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. - George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment